Timber is a very common construction material used in almost every construction site, irrespective of the size of your project. Though some builders prefer using aluminium and engineered products, timber still tops the list. The demand for timber is always quite high because of its performance and environmental impact. Some even use it for decorating outdoor areas as the material can synchronise with nature and has high artistic merit. Engineered timber is not even susceptible to weathering. You can even quickly process timber for use at construction sites. If you want to reap all the benefits offered by this building material, make sure you choose the right timber merchant.
Few Characteristics Of Timber Which Make It The Ideal Building Material
- Though being a lightweight building material, timber has high tensile strength. Sometimes, its tensile strength even outperforms steel. It is capable of supporting its own weight so that you can design a building with fewer supports.
- Timber has good heat and electrical resistance, so you don’t have to worry about electrical conduction if the material is dry. Heat does not impact the material’s strength and dimension.
- Timber is ideal for constructing commercial buildings because of its acoustic properties. You can minimise echo in crowded office spaces. The material absorbs sound, so you can enjoy more comfort due to reduced noise levels.
- Visit a reputable timber merchant in Sussex, and you can choose from a wide variety of timber species with high aesthetic appeal. You can also choose its thermal, acoustic, and mechanical properties according to your project’s needs.
- Timber is a green building material and is widely preferred by builders concerned about the environment. People have great ecological concerns nowadays and prefer building materials that can prevent deforestation and manage greenhouse gases.
- You can grow and regrow timber through natural processes, making it a renewable material, unlike metals and wood. Most of the reputed timber merchants follow replanting and forestry management programs.
- Timber or wood can remove carbon dioxide from the environment efficiently and naturally.
- Timber has a lower impact on the environment when compared with other building materials like concrete or steel. The production cost of timber is also comparatively low. Less wastewater is produced during the manufacturing process.
- The insulation rating of timber is higher than other building materials because of its natural cellular structure.
Since timber is considered the ideal building material for so many reasons, it’s time you start looking for a reputable timber merchant.